29 April 2016
Mother nature delivers for iconic King of the Bay
The weather man certainly played his part for the Bay Union King of the Bay presented by Zurich. Everyone had a lot of fun paddling out the harbour mouth before the left over swell from the day before made the trip down to the turn can interesting and then it was a free wheel home with the freshening NE at our backs! The highlight for me though was definitely ducking under the back of a HUGE ship while looking up and seeing just how small our surfskis really are!
Stella Canoe Club did a great job with the running of the event and allowing us access to this amazing piece of water as part of a once a year experience for the surfski community!
Hank McGregor broke away from the rest of the field within the two first kilometers and then time trialed his to way to his first win of the series. Matthew Bouman paddled extremely well over the open ocean section of the race to limit Hank to a small lead and ultimately claim second place while Luke Nesbit came home in third.
The ladies race was another closely fought contest as a large bunch left the port together before Nicole Russell and Hayley Nixon surged to the front to fight it out for the win. Ultimately Nicole got the better run into the finish line and took the win by just a few meters from Hayley.
A big thanks to Bay Union for their support of the series as well as to Zurich for the assistance this week. Find out more about Bay Union at www.bayunion.co.za.
The video from the Bay Union “FUN” Season Starter has arrived! You can check it out HERE!
Race 3 – Lion Of Africa Surf Challenge (Sunday, 1 April @ 9am – Marine SLC)
Surfski paddling goes back to it’s lifesaving routes this week with the Lion Of Africa Surf Challenge. The weather looks good to include some surf turns in both he long and short course races. Watch the series Facebook page for more information on the courses planned for Sunday’s race.
Lion of Africa Insurance have been involved in the series for a number of years now and again are back to support us paddlers with some very cool prizes! We have R10000 prize money to give away across the various categories and a large part of this will go to some really fun ‘SURF’ categories such as ‘Best Wave’, ‘Worst Wave’ as well as ‘Hotspot’ prizes. We look forward to an exciting day of racing!
A big thanks to Lion of Africa for the support of the series and for sponsoring Race 3. For more info check out their website.
• Registration – every paddler needs to be KNCU registered and have a racing number to race. If you haven’t got a KNCU number please join a local club and follow the registration process. In accordance with KNCU rules, only first time paddlers doing the short course will be able to race on a temporary number! If you have a KNCU number, please make sure you renew your membership with your clubs as the new season already started on 1 April 2016.
• Proficiency – new paddlers also need to complete a proficiency test before doing their first race.
• Entry Fees – Race 3 will cost participants R80 per paddler.
• Race Day Schedule:
7:30am – Registration opens at Marine SLC
8:45am – Registration closes
8:50am – Race briefing
9:00am – Race Start
11:15am – Prize Giving (we may start early if the results are available)
• Stickers – our sponsors Bay Union have put a lot of effort and resources into our events and, as such, ALL paddlers MUST ensure they have 2 series stickers on the foredeck of their ski for ALL races of the series! We thank you all in advance for your assistance with this! There were to many paddlers at King of the Bay without stickers. Please make sure you pick these up at registration.
• Numbers – please also ensure you have the correct KNCU number on your boat; without a number we don’t know who you are and cannot give you a time! This is nothing new and so please make sure this is a priority for ALL paddlers before the series gets underway this weekend. Numbers will be on sale in the club before the start.
• Safety – as always, all paddlers MUST wear a kayaking jacket or PFD (personal flotation device) as per the CSA rules
• Prizes – the prizes for the series are looking amazing with an awesome R10000 in cash per race up for grabs courtesy of our fantastic sponsors Bay Union and Lion of Africa, as well as some cool lucky draw prizes! Check out the full prize template HERE.
If you have any further questions regarding the Bay Union Surfski Series or want to stay up to speed with all that is happening, please visit our website (www.pitchandpaddle.co.za), ‘Like’ us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter!
See you on the water,